Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Goodwill Grabs: August Monsoon edition




While I don't know if I announced it in this blog, I should mention that I have had some issues updating and writing because my wife and I are currently expecting a child in February. Leap Day nonetheless. Yep, poor little duder is going to miss out on his or her birthday 3 out of 4 years.

At any rate, I am a complete whore for kids' books now at Goodwill as this is something that I had started BRIEFLY before we found out the news. Now, I pick up any book that looks cool and is something that I can either see myself reading to them as a goodnight book or something that I want to pass along to them.

Also, Salvation Army had books for $0.10 a book but because of me being a book whore, it's now a quarter. Damn.

Most of my Goodwill grabs will detail some books that I have found in my journeys and are complete AWESOME.

Now let's get all Reading Rainbow on your ass....





One of my favorite finds is Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. It's the tale of Mary Ann the steam shovel who gets outdated by newer machines and finds no place in the world for herself. Well, it eventually hits the fan and they need the power of a steam shovel which allows for the feel good story to come true towards the end. 

I remember this book from my childhood as it was one of my first books I got to take home. It to me means responsibility as I didn't believe that they just let me take it home. I read it several times and the art work is pretty nifty for it's time. Also, the author did the artwork and story. That's something you don't see every day so bravo Virginia Lee Burton. 






Next up is the OG criminal detective of the playground, Encyclopedia Brown. This dude started a business in elementary school and solved mysteries for all the neighborhood kids.

This guy ALWAYS got his man and made me scratch my head as a kid. Unlike the damn Scooby Gang, you could solve the mysteries yourself if you were savvy enough as a kid. The mystery would flow with details and sometimes would try to throw you off the trail. EB always knew the case's solution and would pop off some smart ass remark to show you why he was a force to be reckoned with.

After the phrase was said, you were eagerly turning the pages to the solution in the back to figure out what the hell just happened.





Lastly, the original photo showed some cool adventure books of The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These books came in a set of four and I am lucky enough to have found 75% of the set. I am just missing the "Red Herring" story.

I remember these being a "long" book that daunted me as a kid. Lucky enough for kids, the book is sprinkled with TMNT 88 artwork of pizzas, skateboarding, and other wild antics that the cartoons often portrayed.

I was pretty stoked to find this set and pick it up.





What are some of your favorite book series as a kid growing up? 


I have a few other gems that I will share as time goes along such as Ralph and his cycling. Sadly, I am still on the search for Box Car Kids but am determined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment